Thursday, November 11, 2010

Walker: “Bush says he never was for amnesty, just something identical to it.”

By Nicholas Stix

No, that’s not Saturday Night Live, it’s my VDARE colleague, Brenda Walker. And although Brenda may have written those words with tongue in cheek, she was also dead-on accurate.

In an interview with Rush Limbaugh, Bush not only said what Brenda attributed to him, but he’s back to saying that there are lots of “jobs Americans won’t do,” and talking about illegals having to go to “the back of the line,” before they can be [amnestied].

I couldn’t have said it more plainly: I was against amnesty. I don’t know many people who were for amnesty when it comes time for comprehensive reform. I’m sure there’s some, but, you know, all that would do if you granted amnesty is encourage the next wave to come. I was trying to basically recognize that our economy required immigrants to work. I mean, there’s a lot of jobs Americans won’t do and therefore there needed to be an orderly, legal way for people to come and work on a temporary basis and that if you’d paid your taxes and had been here for a while and were a good citizen you had a chance to become a citizen, but you had to get at the back of the line.

You know what they say, about criminals being creatures of habit. But I swear, I didn’t know a white man could so thoroughly contradict himself in the same paragraph, and keep a straight face.

Apparently, as part of the Bush book tour—someone ghostwrote a pc memoir for him—the GOP fixers are trying to rehabilitate him. By the end of Bush II’s second term, I considered him the worst president in American history, and had even grown nostalgic for the Clinton Crime Family. (For all of his felonies, Bill Clinton was the biggest skinflint-in-chief since Ike.)

Already by Bush’s first State of the Union address, I complained that in his first year in office, he’d spent the people’s money like a drunken sailor. And as it turned out, he was just warming up! By 2004, I had to hold my nose, while voting a second time for that individual, who (at least) temporarily cured me of lesser-evilism.

My VDARE editor, James Fulford, has similarly fond memories.

No comments: